Today is March 8th and it’s my most hated day of the year. It’s the day to “spring forward”, to get up out of a deep dreamy sleep one whole hour earlier than any human being should have to get up. First of all the expression of “spring forward” in this case is oh so wrong. It’s 26 degrees here and it snowed again last night. Spring is a long way off. Before bed I had been lost in reading. I was awake much later than usual. “But that’s ok, I said to myself, because it’s Saturday night and I’ll easily get lots of sleep. I can tune the radio to NPR in the morning and listen to ‘This American Life’ while cuddled up to my fellow late sleeping husky dog.” All of the TV news stations told me that tonight was the time to spring forward. But the full ramifications didn’t hit this late sleeper until I looked at my clock and realized that it was already light outside and my clock said 5:00 am. I quickly calculated in my mind how much longer I had before “This American Life” and dozed off again. I woke up at 10:00 am, (I thought it was 9:00), turned on the radio and slept through both This American Life and Car Talk.
So I ranted. I cussed out loud and scared my cats. Almost everyone in my life has asked me why I like to sleep so much. They say that as people get older they should lose the ability to sleep like they did when they were younger. They tell me that getting up early is normal.
My father and mother were always up by 5:00 am. My friends tell me that they’ve done a whole days work by 7:00am. Here is a list of reasons for my needed extra sleep and other sleep related issues.
- I once asked a psychiatrist if he thought I spent too much time sleeping. He asked me if I got all my needed activities done during the day. I said yes. He said that I could sleep as much as I wanted. I’ve never stopped loving that man.
- I like to sleep. I have the softest of pillows, some fantastic sheets, antique soft cotton pillow cases and a comforter I would die for. Life is too short to sleep on low thread count sheets!
- All of the animals and my husband in our huge bed keep it nice and warm and cozy.
- My dog is a late sleeper. (I know this sounds odd. My dog picked me. We have a lot in common.)
- I dream in Technicolor, 3D and HD. I live for dreaming and solve lots of my problems while sleeping.
So there you have it. It’s all good. Need more proof? Here are some words of wisdom.
“Better to get up late and be wide awake than to get up early and be asleep all day.”
“There are two types of people in this world, the good and the bad. The good sleep better but the bad enjoy the waking hours much more.
“Sleep is when all the unsorted stuff comes flying out as from a dustbin upset in a high wind.”
Here’s a reminder to sign up for my March watercolor class. It’s going to be fun.
Also check out my “Link of the Week”. It’s worth it. Oh, one more thing. The news said last night that during the week of “Spring Forward” more people die of heart attacks than at any other time of the year. Coincidence? I think not.